Warmahordes - Legion of Everblight Raptors unit review

by - 12:00



Another week has gone by world, so once again it's that time where we take a look at another unit in the Iron Kingdoms setting.

Still with Legion of Everblight, but this week I will be having a look at a unit that I have been using in a few of my lists recently and is quickly becoming one of my favourite units, Raptors.






On first appearance I wondered about this unit, only 3 models (5 wounds each) for 6 points, large bases so easy to target, and of course the cost of the models.  I took the plunge, picked up a box and started to use them, and it didn't take long to realise this is one of the best value units I have ever used in the Iron Kingdoms (even counting the Mk1 Warpwolf).

Saying this unit is fast just doesn't do it justice, they can cover a staggering 23" a turn without any assistance from a Caster (and with Pathfinder), that is something that should not be underestimated when a lot of models are only going to be covering half that distance.

These are Light Cavalry, and getting the hang of hit and run attacks with them takes some getting used to (and something that I haven't got working consistently enough) but when it works it is devastating.  With their RAT 7, range 12 bows, with POW 10 (not that great) and poison they can make quick work of most infantry, and put the hurt to Warbeasts without too many problems, and then back away out of harms way, and can always make a speedy retreat if you have to.


Now, you may be thinking that this unit has some good ranged power, so is going to suffer in the melee, however this is not the case, they may have a MAT of 6 (not bad at all with their ranged prowess) but they make up for this with Weapon Master (that's right a unit with poison at range and weapon master in combat and SPD 9) and a POW only 1 lower than a Swordsmen, when this unit gets in close it is capable of putting the hurt on the enemy, and is great at making the charge to put those last few points of damage on a beast/jack or killing the last vestiges of a unit.  The mount also gets to attack, and with a POW of 12 is one of the hardest hitting in the game (Rudolf makes a very good mount) and means that 3 strong unit is getting 6 attacks in melee rather than 3, that has saved me before, and I have no doubt will again.

One thing I haven't mentioned yet is this units survivability.  It's good, they have an ARM of 15, so combined with multiple wounds should be able to survive the first hit or 2, and a DEF of 14, this makes the unit much better, that MED-HIGH DEF keeps them out of harms way a lot, and forces your opponent to send a good unit against them, its a unit far to dangerous to be allowed to run around without reprise, and is going to get a lot of attention from your opponent, if they can catch them.

That's it for another unit review, let me know in the comments below if I missed anything, and I look forward to seeing what you guys (and gals) make of it.  Next in the series I think I will be doing a Solo review and give the units a break.

- Gormag

You May Also Like

0 comments

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.